Sandisha Sohan | Attorney: Legal Services Division
With the festive season fast approaching and the expected increase of traffic volumes on the roads heading to favourite holiday destinations all over the country, we want you and your loved ones to be safe.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind whilst you prepare for your journey:
- Adhere to the speed limit and keep a safe following distance especially in wet weather and when visibility is poor.
- Never take for granted that other road users will follow the rules of the road, defensive driving is a must.
- Only overtake when it is safe to do so and never overtake on a blind rise, or bend, always check your blind spot when changing lanes.
- Keep a proper lookout and stay alert.
- Make sure to stop at regular intervals to stretch your legs and grab a snack.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or any substances that may affect your cognitive abilities is prohibited by law, the ZERO-TOLERANCE RULE applies which means that if a driver’s blood alcohol level is more than 0,05% per 100ml he/she is over the legal limit. In most instances, especially during the festive period zero-tolerance applies,if you are pulled over, breatherlized and over the legal limit you will be arrested.
- Do not text or hold a mobile phone while driving. This is a distraction and causes the driver to focus on the mobile phone and not the road. This can result in loss of control of the vehicle and is dangerous.
- Keep valuable items out of sight to avoid smash and grab incidents.
- Do not disobey road signs and designated officials.
ALWAYS BE SAFE, BUCKLE UP AND ARRIVE ALIVE